Posture can be defined as the carriage of the body, therefore, it is how you carry your body. The root of the word derives from Latin verb “ponere” meaning “to put or place” (1). There are two types, static and dynamic. Firstly, is static, this is how you hold yourself when you are not moving (ie. when you are sitting, standing, or sleeping). Secondly, is dynamic, this is how you hold yourself when you are moving (ie. when you are walking, running, or bending over to pick up something). (2)
Furthermore, the poor carriage is often the result of muscular imbalances in the body. Therefore, these abnormal postural presentations, such as the head forward and rounded shoulder postures are all too commonplace in society, due to our lifestyles (laptops, computers, and mobile phones). Postural weaknesses can contribute to a host of health issues and pain syndromes. Chiropractic care can help improve your stance, restore muscular balance and normal biomechanical function of the spine.
Health benefits of good posture
- Increases the alignment of musculoskeletal system that will reduce low back pain and reduce headaches
- Increased energy levels
- Less tension in shoulders and neck
- Decreased risk of abnormal wearing of joint surfaces
- Increased lung capacity due to the improved diaphragm position
- Improved circulation and digestion
- Increased self-confidence (3)
Results of bad posture
Poor ergonomics can be detrimental to your health. Slouching or slumping can
- Misalign your musculoskeletal system, causing all kinds of ailments such as the neck, shoulder, and back pain
- Decrease flexibility due to the muscles not moving as they should
- Affect how well you move
- Affect balance and increase your risk of falling
- Make it harder to digest food
- Make it harder to breathe due to the position of your diaphragm. (2)
PosturePro is one of the leading analysis software that is endorsed by the AmericanPostureInstitute. This tool is a quick objective postural screening software with which your registered Chiropractor can quickly render findings to you as a patient. This is a fundamental tool for every ergonomics expert (4). After that, PosturePro will provide the patient with a number that is calculated by using certain anatomical landmarks. This number will indicate your carriage quality. The PosturePro can therefore give you corrective exercises to improve your stance.
In conclusion, Chirohealth utilises powerful analysis software (PosturePro) to evaluate your carriage and monitor progress. In addition, during the Computerized Check, you will have the opportunity to discuss any individual spinal concerns or queries that you may have with the Chiropractor.
Use the following code to book your free Computerized Postural screen: PostureBlog
- Medicine Net. 2021. Posture. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.medicinenet.com/posture/definition.htm. [Accessed 14 January 2021].
- Medline plus. 2021. Guide to good posture. [ONLINE] Available at: https://medlineplus.gov/guidetogoodposture.html. [Accessed 14 January 2021].
- Health Line. 2021. Posture benefits. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/posture-benefits#12.-Increased-self-confidence. [Accessed 14 January 2021].
- API. 2021. Ergonomics equipment. [ONLINE] Available at: https://americanpostureinstitute.com/healthcare-professionals/posture-equipment/. [Accessed 14 January 2021].
To read up more on some of our other articles: